Saturday 14 December 2013

Family links

On opening the shop I started to think about my family history. Coming from York, I knew I must have some connections to confectionery apart from the one I know about. My Uncle worked in the accounts department at M A Cravens all his working life. I can remember when the factory was on coppergate. When it moved out of town, the site was taken over and the archaeologists moved in - this then become know as "the coppergate dig", uncovering many remains from the roman and Viking past. You can now visit it as the Jorvik centre.
Cravens had the sweet concessions at the Great Yorkshire Show for many years. As soon as I was old enough I went, with my cousins to work the three days and loved it.
Cravens tends to be overshadowed by the two big boys - Rowntrees and Terrys, however its Sugar Almonds, Mary Ann Toffees (named after Mary Ann Craven) and the old English mints were very popular.
I suspected that somewhere in my family I must has a connection to Rowntree, as most families did. I received a copy of my paternal granddads death certificate yesterday. He died in 1940 so my dad never really knew him. It turns out he was a Confectionery labourer at "the cocoa works".

Busy day in the shop today - Bex is there all day and I am helping out from 12 so pop in and say hello.
Have you guess who first made Love Hearts yet?